Fab Lab Technician
Come and join our Fab Lab team!
Since we opened our doors in October 2016, the Trafford Fab Lab has become a fantastic creative space where people can learn, share and be inspired to test out their ideas and bring them to life using a range of advanced digital manufacturing technology.
Fab Labs were first launched by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the concept has now grown to a worldwide network of 400 labs where anyone can make just about anything.
Trafford Fab Lab in Altrincham town centre has attracted over 4,000 visitors so far, including inventors, makers, creatives and businesses of all sizes, and new visitors discovering the space every week.
We’ve now got an exciting opportunity for two part-time Fab Lab Technicians to become part of this great story.
The person (experience, skills, qualifications, qualities).
- Be working towards a qualification in / and or have a background in manufacturing, engineering, or a product design based subject
- Excellent knowledge of electronics would be an advantage
- Have experience of digital fabrication processes and machines
- Have extremely good people and customer service skills
- Knowledge of Arduino-based applications
- Experience in product design
The role will involve:
- Helping The Manufacturing Institute’s Fab Lab achieve its targets, outputs and impacts.
- Fab Lab administration and infrastructure support – supporting the Fab Lab Commercial Operations Manager and Fab Lab Team Leader in the day-to-day running and management of the Fab Lab on open access days, providing first-line technical support and maintenance for on-site IT infrastructure to ensure optimal operation of the Fab Lab.
- User support – provide technical support to Fab Lab users on processes, equipment and electronics on open access days in order to maximise the users’ utilisation and experience of the Fab Lab.
- Housekeeping – carry out day-to-day maintenance and cleaning duties in the Fab Lab to maintain a tidy, clean and safe working environment and prolong the useful life of Fab Lab equipment and materials.
- Open Days – help to manage open days including machine booking, user payments, dealing with telephone and email enquiries, monitoring stock levels.
- Fab Lab volunteers – provide technical support to volunteers in their Fab Lab training.
- Working hours: Saturdays 08.00am – 16.00pm
- Salary: £9.23 per hour
- Fixed Term Contract until 30th November 2018
How to apply:
If you would like to learn more or apply for this position please forward your CV and a covering letter to Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: March 16th, 2018.